We are making slow but steady progress on the pantry. We are almost finished on the floor and we are putting a call in today to figure out where in the world our hardware is!
What I'm going to show you today is some progress on the shelving. Last time I showed you how we cut down one board of MDF into a bunch of shelves. Since then we have cut down the other board and have also cut out support pieces.
We wanted to have the shelves have a back that looked like a bookshelf but we didn't want to build a monstrous bookshelf outside the pantry and then try to get it inside. Therefore, we started by nailing our backer to the wall itself. We just used a thin plywood for the back.
The reason the thin piece on the side doesn't go to the floor is because our pantry counter will be going in and so the shelving won't be going any lower than that. Once we had the back up, we started attaching the back support pieces. We just used the left over MDF (after much planning to make sure that we could get strips long enough) ripped to 1 inch strips. Then we nailed them up making sure that each piece was nice and level.
Here you can see the beginning of the shelves. We put some of the shelves up so that you can start to see what it is going to look like. Some of the shelves have been primed while others haven't. Also, we are going to have front supports (which is why the clamp is there.. we didn't want the shelf to come crashing down) but that's where our missing hardware plays an important role!