- I'm still on my grits kick (and I'm currently needing to put hot sauce on everything) and this recipe modified from myrecipes.com couldn't be passed up. We have a restaurant near us that makes amazing shrimp and grits. This recipe is quite different but still amazing. It may be my new comfort food.
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14-ounce) can wheat free chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular grits
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium, fat-free wheat free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Add Cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients. Keep warm.
Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in cornstarch.
Sauté mushrooms in hot drippings in skillet 5 minutes or until tender. Add green onions, and sauté 2 minutes. Add shrimp and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly brown. Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet.
Serve shrimp mixture over hot cheese grits. Top with crumbled bacon. Enjoy!