About a week after the first layer of polyurethane went down, it was finally dry due to my error of not mixing the polyurethane. Since I figured out what I did wrong, the next few coats went down much faster. I'm going to show you a bunch of photos that shows how the floor color changed as we added more layers of poly.
Here is what the floor looked like after one coat. The color wasn't rich and the floor wasn't smooth yet. If you want to see how we got the floor to this point, click here.
Two coats down. Slightly better color.
Here's a closer look. You can see the texture of burlap but the unevenness is slowly going away.
Three coats. The oil based poly is doing its job and giving the floor a nice golden color. After the third coat I sanded the the entire floor which really smoothed it out.
Forth coat. After this coat the floor was nice a smooth and really durable but I had just a little more poly left so I decided to add one more coat once again sanding in between.
Here's what it looked like after the final coat. The color turned out really rich and you still get the great burlap texture look with a smooth (aka easy to clean) floor.
We reused the trim that we took out so that it would match the rest of the house (which is why it looks a little banged up)
We still need to put quarter round in and a threshold but other than that the floor is done!
We let the floor harden for a week before we did anything else to make sure it cured and it is super durable now. We really love how it turned out and we think it's going to look great with the rest of our plans for the room.
Breakdown of costs:
Floor Patch: $12.97
Foam Brushes: $2.66
Total after 5% off at Lowe's and Tax: $80.07
Linking To: House of Hepworths, My Repurposed Life, 5 Days 5 Ways, Serenity Now, Nutmeg Place, Wayward Girls Crafts, Six Sister's Stuff, Tatertots and Jello, Twigg Studio, Serendipity and Spice, Ask Anna, Home Stories A to Z, The NY Melrose Family, Uncommon Designs, The Real Wives of Riverton, Our Delightful Home